Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Fill it up!

I go back to work in less than three weeks.  I have been wanting to fill up my freezer with meals so that I don't hear that most wonderful question, "What's for dinner?"  after I get home from working all day!  I have been doing OAMC(Once a Month Cooking) for about four years.  I even cook with my family where we cook 120 meals in a day for 5 families. 
After spending a few hours planning the meals, another few hours shopping, I was ready to go.  I have been doing this for about four years.  This time I wanted as many "freezer to slow cooker" meals as I could.  I also wanted to focus on healthy meals.  This is what I came up with.  If I can link it to a website, I will.  I also use four cookbooks that are specific to OAMC, though this time I didn't.

Chicken and Broccoli Bake x 2 from Once a Month Mom.  I love her website.  She has many types of OAMC menus to meet all sorts of dietary needs.
Teriyaki Chicken from Ring Around the Rosies
Salsa Chicken x 2 from Six Cents

Cumin-Cinnamon Beef Stew x 2 from Mama and Baby Love.  She just put out a cookbook, which I ordered.  This recipe is exclusively in her cookbook.  There are many others though on her website for free.
Taco Soup from me! I brown ground turkey, and dump it in a Ziploc with a cup of black beans, a cup of corn, a can of rotel, a can of diced chiles, and cumin.  I also put in a can of chicken broth.  The day I cook it, I will put another can of broth.  We like to put cheese, chives, and sour cream on the finshed project.  You can search google and get tons of variations of this.  I just throw in what I know we like.

Ginger Cranberry Pork Roast x 2 from Mama and Baby Love.  Excited to try this!

Summer Veggie Soup from Mama and Baby Love.  This is another one in her cookbook.
Southwest Rice and Beans x 2 from Once a Month Mom.  We have had this many times before.  We like it alone, in a tortilla, or with chips.
Roasted Vegetable Quinoa from Once a Month Mom.  This smelled wonderful!  Can't wait to try it.
Mexican Baked Penne from At Home woith Kim.  This time I left out the ground beef.  I am trying to feed my family less meat.  We have had this many times before with the meat and we love it.  I am curious to see of we still enjoy it as much, but I am not sure why we wouldn't!
Stuffed Peppers from me!  You can search to find a recipe you like.  I made mine with brown rice, black beans, tomato sauce, cumin, and corn.

Now, shopping details.  I shopped sales, did ad match at Wal-Mart, and I also bought reduced meat.  I am on a tight bnudget for the summer.  I spent a total of $120.00 to make all of these, plus breakfast burritos, which I need to make tomorrow.  That averages to $7.00 a meal, and $1.40 per person for my family of five.  You can't beat that.  On top of that, I feel that for the majority of these, they are healthy. 

If you do this a big suggestion I have is to buy Ziploc brand freezer bags.  They cost more, but are well worth it!

Give it a try, you won't be sorry, and let me know how it goes!

1 comment:

  1. Fantastic site. We will be trying a few of the recipes for sure.

    ReplyDelete