Sunday, May 29, 2011

Zesty Chili

We love chili in our house! Any time we go camping, I always pre-make it to take for one of our meals. I also like to double the batch and freeze half for an easy dinner. I found this recipe in a Weight Watchers magazine. Don't let that fool you, this chili is very good! I use ground turkey instead of beef. I also add a green and red pepper. Hope you try it, then let me know what you think!

Zesty Beef Chili
1 tsp olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves. chopped
1 - 4 1/2 oz can chopped green chiles
2 tbsp Cajun seasoning
1 pound ground beef(5% or less fat)
1- 28 oz can Italian peeled tomatoes, chopped
1 cup fat free salsa
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup chili powder
1- 15 oz cans red kidney beans, drained and rinsed

1. Heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onion and cook for about 6-8 minutes, stirring occasionally, until translucent. (If you add peppers, I put them in with the onions.) Add garlic, chiles, and Cajun seasoning, stir constantly, about 1 minute. Add the ground beef and cook until browned, about 8-10 minutes.
2. Add tomatoes with their liquid, salsa, water, and chili powder. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to simmer, cover, and cook about 1 hour.
3. Stir in the beans and cook until heated through.

Weight Watcher-6 points plus
Top with light sour cream or reduced fat cheese!

No comments:

Post a Comment